Our award winning theatre is based in the beautiful and historic town of Knutsford. One of Cheshire’s best venues for live theatre presents a broad programme of drama drawn from a rich tradition of playwriting both old and new, including annual pantomimes. The programme includes both adult and junior performances. The theatre is also used by visiting artists who provide a programme of Musical and Comedy performances. Details of all our current performances can be found on the “What’s On” Page.
We rehearse every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with a set building session every Thursday, with members of the public welcome to come along and help, followed by a drink in the reasonably priced bar.
We have a fully licensed bar open to both members and visitors and ample parking facilities off Tatton Street, a short walk from the theatre. The bar along with our stage and auditorium are available for hire when they are not being used. Detail of this can be found on the “Facilities for hire” page.
We can accommodate wheelchair users. The theatre has a disabled toilet. Please let us know your requirements when you book so that we can ensure you have an enjoyable visit to our theatre.
The theatre is managed by our committee, who deliver a broad spectrum of competencies that manage and maintain the theatre. They are are supported by our membership which includes adult, senior and junior categories. Details of this can be found the “Membership” page
- James Broughton
- Jill Brown
- Barry Wilkinson
- Lesley Reed
- Cheryl Chamberlain
Honorary Life Members
- Mrs R Hough
- Mrs S Pollard
- Mrs B A Fuller
- Mr J E Fuller
- Mrs V Tenner
- Mr R Hough
- Mrs B Derbyshire
- Mrs J Freeman
- Mr T Pickering
It all began on the 16th March 1925 with the inaugural meeting held at the Cranford Cafe. The society started life as the “Knutsford Amateur Dramatic Society”. We were a traveling society that performed in various locations around Cheshire. We did not become Knutsford Little Theatre until later…..
Early in 1945, As the Knutsford Amature Dramaric Society, we started presenting an evening of three, one-act, plays in the St.Vincent’s Church Hall, which was originally the old Church. At first this was for 3 nights only and then gradually extending to 5 with the aim to do this once a month. In addition to this, we carted these one-act plays around and performed one-nightstands in all manner of Village Halls, Hospitals, Women’s Institutes etc. Nearly all the Parish Halls in the villages around Knutsford, had a visit from us from time to time.
Knutsford Little Theatre
1949, Knutsford Amature Dramatic Society purchsed St Vincent’s Church Hall and the adjoining house, which was originally the Manse. This was the birth of Knutsford Little Theatre. When we put on our first production the stage was 13 ft. square with a narrow front extension built by the U.S. forces out of ammunition boxes. It was light by one bulb at each front corner! Two miniscule dressing rooms which doubled as property stores opened off what is now the current Bar but then, but was eventually become a coffee bar later that year.
1950 – 1970
1950- The first improvement was to cut a trapdoor into what had been a bedroom over the coffee bar to create access extra storage space and a switchboard perch with a view of the stage. We then transferred a surplus pavilion from the Mobberley Cricket Club repurposing it to create a workshop and new dressing rooms. At that time our audience sat on school benches in the auditorium.
1961- The stage was extended into the site of the old dressing rooms providing such luxuries as wing space (on one side only), access behind the scenery, and a staircase to the switchroom. The dressing rooms were also rearranged.
1963 R.H. side of the stage was extended, the “abominable” Arch was demolished, giving wing space both sides and sufficient height to fly pantomime cloths!!
1964 saw a break-through to the front room of the caretaker’s house for a “Greenroom”.
1967 saw the start on the Foyer with toilets to overcome the nightly ‘trips-out-the-back’.
During this decade we replaced the school benches with Canvas stacking chairs arranged on a centre gangway layout with a shallow rake. Entrances and exits were reorientated. By the end of the decade the transformation was complete, the coffee bar had had a new look and we felt justified in applying for a Theatre Licence.
The proposed seating plan was eventually completed, removing the old canvas seats and replacing them with a 101 seating capacity auditorium.
The Fiftieth Anniversary; big celebrations 15th March 1975 at the Royal George Hotel Knutsford. (Click the image to see the full details). At this point we had produced and performed over 160 productions.
1980 – 1990
Externally the face of the theatre did not change much other than a lick of paint and some new front door. However, in 1992 we built an extension to the rear of the auditorium to extending the stage area and created new changing rooms. This was opened on the 5th September of that year.
2001 – Came the upgrade to the bar area. With the installation of a new bar which came from the Royal George Pub, Knutsford.
2007 – An extension to the front created our current Foyer and toilet block.
2008 – We came up with an idea to host a Playfest, this was for one act plays to be entered into The Knutsford Little Theatre International Short Play Festival. This attracted 350 plays from 264 different writers. The entries came from not only the UK but America, Canada, Australia, Russia, Japan, South America and all over Europe.
Present Day. The outside has not changed much but we have made some changes inside. We now provide 6 productions a year (4 adult plays, 1 panto and a junior production). Since 1949 we have produced and performed over 400 productions and still counting.